Wednesday Sep 15 2021
Step aside, silver. When it comes to celebrating 25 years, FABRIC is clearly the symbol of choice... at least if Pine Needles has anything to say about it. This September 25, they’re celebrating their 25th year in business at Gardner Village, and you're invited to the party!
WHEN: Saturday, September 25, 2021
WHAT: Prizes, party favors, discounts, and more!
25 FUN FACTS ABOUT PINE NEEDLES (including a FREE GIFT for YOU!)
1. ALL who visit on Saturday, September 25 for the 25-year birthday celebration will receive a gift.
2. The giving continues. EVERYTHING in the store is 25% off on Saturday, September 25!
3. Of course, this birthday party wouldn’t be complete without party favors. If you shop at Pine Needles on Sept. 25, you’ll be entered to win one of 25 exciting door prizes. (You don’t have to be present to win.)
4. Did we mention the refreshments? Yup, this shindig will even include tasty treats.
5. Did you know Pine Needles began as a cross stitch store here at Gardner Village?
“I started cross stitching because of my grandmother, so I was delighted when she was able to come by the store on opening weekend,” Pine Needles owner Sandy Workman recalls. “She and my grandfather were entrepreneurs, so I knew they were proud of me for following their lead. Grandma passed away just a month after that visit. I’ll always be grateful that she got to come by when she did.”
6. Creativity clearly runs in the family. Since opening, Sandy has had more than one of her sisters work at Pine Needles.
7. Originally, Pine Needles was located where Storybook Nook is today, only the shop was just half the size it is now, at just 800 sq. ft. Cozy!
8. Sandy eventually added embroidery to her inventory when customers saw what she was working on and wanted to make projects of their own.
9. Customer demand is was ultimately introduced fabric to the Pine Needles offering. Customers would see a table runner or pillow Sandy had made for the shop and want to re-create the design.
“I figured, if customers wanted these project kits, why not carry the fabric,” Sandy said.
10. Carrying fabric meant needing more room, so Pine Needles moved to its second location, where A Great Escape is today.
11. The Pine Needles we know and love today has been at its current inviting space, its third location at The Village, for eight years now.
12. Honoring its roots, you’ll still find cross stitch and embroidery materials at Pine Needles, plus a huge assortment of fabric, felt beads, sewing supplies, and so much more!
13. There’s a classroom on the upper level of Pine Needles. Whether you’re an experienced quilter or you want to learn a new art, you’ll find fun class options. (Due to COVID, classes are currently on hold, but Sandy is teaching at an off-site event this week. See #22 for more info.)
14. You’d NEVER guess this by looking at the beautiful designs Sandy makes, but she didn’t start out as a quilter. She learned only after making the decision to add fabric to her shop. Talk about commitment! One of her latest designs: this darling Halloween house quilt!
15. To date, Sandy has designed around 50 quilts for the store. Not bad for someone who only learned out of necessity. Clearly, it didn’t take long for her to fall in love with the craft.
16. Sandy isn't the only one sewing. All of the stunning quilts and kits on display in Pine Needles were designed by Pine Needles employees. What a talented team!
17. If you see something on display in Pine Needles, the odds are very good you can take a kit home to create the design yourself. Now’s the time to start thinking about those Christmas gifts!
18. Since opening Pine Needles, Sandy has designed two fabric lines for Riley Blake — "Dream and a Wish" and "Happy Ever After.'
19. Pine Needles customers are THE BEST! Many have been coming to the store regularly since it first opened those 25 years ago.
“They’re definitely more than customers now,” Sandy said. “They’re friends!”
20. Pine Needles was featured in Quilt Sampler Magazine as one of the Top 10 Quilt Shops in the US one year.
21. If you want to create for Halloween, shop now. The holiday collections are flying off the shelves faster than Gardner Village witches zoom on their brooms!
22. The fabric used for this particular quilt (white on the left) has been re-ordered four times now. Perhaps one of those Gardner Village witches has a magic spell for keeping it on the shelves?
23. Starting today, Sandy will be at the Garden of Quilts event at Thanksgiving Point. She’s teaching a class and Pine Needles will have a booth. Fun!
24. For a woman who see nearly every fabric line released, you know Sandy knows her fabric, so we couldn’t help but ask what her current favorite was. She said it’s nearly impossible to pick but that the new Gingham Foundry line by My Mind’s Eye definitely makes her swoon.
A very happy birthday to you, sweet Pine Needles! You’re a bright spot in The Village. We can’t wait to celebrate you and your 25 years on Saturday, September 25!